Bree Mei age 4yr

Bree Mei    age 4yr

OUR HEARTS ARE FILLED WITH JOY

OUR FIRST DAY WITH BREE

QIU QI - AGE 1

QIU QI - AGE 1

BREE MEI - AGE 3.5

BREE MEI - AGE 3.5

Monday, August 25, 2008

DAY 8


Bree sucking on a lemon!

Hard to believe that just one week ago today we held Bree in our arms for the first time. We often wonder what, if anything, she remembers from the orphanage. When she awakens from her naps and nights, if she expects to see us or her nanny?
Today one parent had to spend 2 hours doing VISA paperwork with our guide. Doug and Grandma and Bree went to the playroom for that time. In the afternoon we went to have her VISA picture taken and then to the dreaded medical exam. It was during this that we finally found someone that annoys her more than Doug (see above pic)-the doctors! Good thing we don't wear white coats at P. Peds. Of course since she was only one of two out of 13 babies that were special needs, our appointment took longer. I was just as spent as she was following her exam. Doug said that my body language was "unprofessional" during the exam-but really! when they asked me to have her walk on a metal grated bench I just about became unglued. I had our guide tell them "no her ankles are calloused enough" and they let it go.
We ate dinner at Doug's favorite restaurant La Dolce Vita (Italian) with our friends the Dancys (who have been the only other couple that has stayed with us in GZ the entire time). Doug has gotten the same 12 inch pizza 4 times now (see pic). I must say it is some of the best pizza we have tasted. The Dancy's are from NC and are a hoot, we have had so much fun with them. They don't like any kind of exotic food, even Chinese, so eating out with them has been a riot. Their daughter McKenna is 14 months old and has a VSD heart lesion-cute as a button. She has given her daddy a run for his money as well. The funny things is, both girls go to the other father without any problem! We moms just laugh and fortunately both dads have been good sports about this temporary rejection. Bree has been saying more phrases the last couple of days. We have heard her repeat "I want that", "I love you" and "your welcome". Other times she can be heard rambling in Cantonese and how we would love to know what she is saying. Well, it's lights out for Bree and time for me to sign off. "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is is Heaven" Mathew 5:16

7 comments:

The Grammar Snob said...

"Unprofessional?" HA! That made me laugh out loud!!!

Once again, we simply can not WAIT to meet her.

Sending good energy your way.
~Amy

Vicki said...

OHHHHH DR. T -
I am a total woos. I cannot even take seeing Bree cry in this picture - and am now fighting tears myself. Have mercy...I better get a grip, huh? Slap me, please. Ha. Ha. I guess I just feel for these wee ones who have endured & overcome so much in their young lives. I've got to toughen up in this dept. LOL!!!
My friends said I better learn Hakka for, "Happy tears. Happy tears..." so Emily won't think I'm sad each time I water up.
So great to hear your news and amazing that you will soon be headed home as my plane taxies the runway Friday morning. Phooey. Hate to miss ya.
Give Miss Bree a big hug for me.
Vicki

jessie16 said...

WOW, LOOKING AT BREE WITH THE LEMON MAKE ME PUCKER UP AND MOUTH WATER. DOUG THE PIZZA LOOKS GREAT. WHEN I SEE PICTURES OF BREE CRYING IT MAKES MY HEART ACHE. GIVE HUGS AND KISSES TO HER FOR ME.

Donna Forrester said...

Patrick and I remember "the medical exam" vividly...for that matter, Lily probably still remembers it as well.:) Isn't it interesting how protective we become in such a short period of time? From the second that we meet our child,we become their biggest advocate. You were in "mom-mode" and not "doctor-mode" during Bree's exam. That is a good thing!!! We have pictures of each stage of Lily's exam. One of the pictures is of Lily, in the foreground, with an expression on her face that looks as if she is saying "Can you believe this?" Overall it was fine..just completely annoying to the Lilster. (Although, it really is hard to even imagine what the little ones must be thinking)? Remember what the doctor appointments were like before you and Lily became friends? I never thought that I would see the day that she hugs you and blows kisses during and after her appointments. Miracles happen everyday! In regard to the "warming up to Daddy " episode...please tell Doug that it is temporary and all part of the "interview process." I am sure that she soon will find him to be faithful, loving, super-fun and one of her very favorite people. Bree just does not want to make this too easy.:) She is not only sweet, but clever too. It is all part of a two year old's plan. I am glad that you have cleared a few more hurdles (ie. medical exam and Visa prep). Friday will be here before you know it!!!
Enjoy!!!

Love and prayers,
Donna, Patrick and Lily

tonya said...

Good to see that Doug is getting some of the food that he wants. I'm sure you can't wait to have some home cooked food. Tracy will jump right on that, I'm sure!!!!!I just can't tell you how happy we are for you. At church on Sunday I said an extra special pray for you guys. Thanks for taking the time to put all these wonderful pictures on your blog. This has really helped to time go by. Except at work of course. I've had many people ask about you. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Love,
Tonya

Heislers said...

Tracy, Doug, Brynn and Brooke,

Thank you for allowing us to share this amazing journey with you.

We cannot wait to meet Bree. Have a safe trip back and we will see you soon.

All of our love,
Jodi, Eric, Olivia and Joshua

Celeste said...

Just wanted to wish you safe travels home. I hope everything goes smoothly. I have enjoyed keeping up on your adventures. Bree looks great, and she looks more at ease with each picture (except for the exam one- yikes!), like she is 'home' with you guys.
Take care.
Celeste

Dear Family and Friends
We are so happy to share with you this wonderful journey we are taking to bring home our daughter
.

Those beautiful rosebud lips!